So I was down at Seed Savers in Scariff, Co. Clare, a few months ago for a willow weaving course and got all inspired. "Work with what you've got!" said the instructor. "Hmmmm" I thought. I'd been looking through fancy books like this one and salivating over websites like this one, but she got me thinking. I've got tons of willow trees at the low end of the River Field just sitting there (well, growing of course, but not doing much else) so one afternoon I took a bit of a figairy, grabbed a roll of string and headed down to tie some branches together and see what happened. What started out as a few simple arches has rapidly evolved into a witchy and magical canopy that I'm weaving as it grows. To add to the atmosphere, I've glued little mirrored mosaic squares to fishing line, tied each end to a clothes pegs and clasped them to the branches. They glisten and twinkle between the leaves in the sunlight. I love it.
Love this! I started spontaneously tree-weaving in some woods we're putting geodomes up in; I much much much prefer it to hacking away at branches!!!
ReplyDeleteHey lunasealife! Thanks for commenting :) It's so much fun, isn't it?
ReplyDelete