Monday, July 16, 2012

Riverside Furniture - take two!

Having mourned the loss of our beautiful log seats to an anti-social element, we finally got around to making some new ones!


Mum, Rita, Anne, Martina + assorted kids testing out the new benches and 
Anne's amazing profiteroles after an easter egg hunt


I say we, but I actually mean my friends and fellow students Patrick Guerin (see photos below) and John Fitzgerald, who arrived early one misty morning armed with chainsaws and muscle. I made the tea :) They trimmed up a few willow trees for coppicing (which I'll be blogging about later in the season), then hoisted trunks and branches of deadwood up to the fire pit and made the seats: good, strong, sturdy ones dug about 6" into the ground. Very comfy they are, too, as we found out at 2012's first riverside community party.




Paddy making the new log seats

Paddy enjoying the fruits of his labour!


The Amazing Secret Tree-Chair - the trunk is at perfect reclining angle over the river


A notch was cut into the trunk, and the seat part of a busted chair was slotted in with the two front legs still attached, for extra stability. It's now my favourite sunset spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment